Today, Apple announced some new products and features at the Flint Center in California (originally where the first Mac was unveiled). The announcement was broadcast live via apple.com.
With the excitement of the rumored iPhone 6, people began camping outside Apple stores earlier this week with anticipation of possible releases. Mock up pictures of the “new iPhone 6” have been posted throughout the Internet, all re-imagining what Apple has been rumored to release.
Not only was the new iPhone announced, the Apple Watch and Apple Pay were also on the announcement list.
Here is a roundup of products and features that Apple is releasing, announced via their live webcast:
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which will include:
- Bigger screens (the iPhone 6 being slightly smaller than the iPhone 6 Plus) and a curvier look. Each phone will be offered in gold, silver, and space gray. New cases will also be available in both elastic and leather.
- The new phones will run games just as good as a gaming console.
- Equal or better battery life than the iPhone 5s.
- Motion sensors that can tell you how many steps you have taken and measure your distance and elevation.
- New wireless capabilities that include faster LTE.
- Clearer phone calls and the ability to make a standard call using a Wi-Fi Network.
- Enhanced photo taking. With focus pixels, the camera on both phones will have better auto focus. You can also take macro photos and bigger panoramas. Enhanced video capabilities with continuous autofocus.
- The starting cost is $199, and increases to $299 and $399 depending on the amount of storage; all with 2 year contract.
- iOS 8, that comes with Touch ID. It will be available for download on September 17, 2014.
- Both phones will be available for preorder on September 12, 2014. They will ship in the US on September 19, 2014.
- Apple Pay will allow consumers to use their credit cards on their phones at participating locations.
- Adding a credit card to the system will be simple. Just take a picture of the card and get it verified by your bank.
- All transactions are private, only known between you, the vendor, and your bank.
- Participating locations will include: Subway, McDonalds, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Disney, and all Apple stores.
- You can order items online more effectively and securely.
- There is no cost for Apple Pay and will be available in October.
- Apple Watch – a brand new product from Apple will change the way you see a watch. Features include:
- Customization of both the interface and straps (band) for a more personal appearance and capability.
- The straps are easily interchangeable, as well as sweat and chemical resistant. Apple Watch can be worn all day for any occasion.
- Both a smaller and larger version of the watch to fit everyone.
- It becomes a health and fitness device with motion sensors that keep track of your footsteps and heart beat (while taking your pulse).
- To navigate the smaller screen, you use the watch’s digital crown (knob).
- You can communicate by a simple tap, drawing a picture, or even by your own heartbeat.
- Interactive, animated emojis of which you can customize the facial expressions.
- Watch Kit, which allows developers to highly customize and work with Apple. It is also more involved with third-party applications.
- Apple Watch can unlock a hotel door with a scanning feature.
- Apple TV can be controlled using the watch
- When riding public transportation, Apple Watch even reminds you to get off at your stop.
- It is compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
- It comes with a wireless, magnetic charger.
- The Apple Watch will start at $349 and will be available early next year.
Want learn more about iOS 8? Check out our blog